The Structure of the University of Bucharest
In 1916, the University of Bucharest was comprised of five faculties: Law, Letters and Philosophy, Sciences, Medicine and Theology. The faculties were organized in departments and other subdivisions (libraries, boarding houses) and, according to their profile, they also encompassed laboratories, seminaries, institutes or clinics. For example, the Science Faculty’s Department of Palaeontology included the palaeontology laboratory, the Faculty of Letters and Philosophy’s Department of Archaeology would also hold an archaeology seminar, while several surgical/medical departments would operate within the Faculty of Medicine.
Consequently, the University of Bucharest enjoyed a complex structure and even comprised a Faculty of Medicine. At the time, the Faculty of Medicine was the most complex, with over 30 departments; today, it is a separate institution, apart from the University. The complexity of the Faculty of Sciences is also worth mentioning: apart from numerous departments, seminars and laboratories, it also included the Botanical Institute, the Astronomical Observatory and the Electrotechnical Institute.
The University of Bucharest was led by a chancellor, the faculties were led by deans, the departments were headed by a professor and the other subdivisions – the laboratories, institutes, seminaries – each had a director.
For greater detail on the University of Bucharest’s structure in 1916, please click on the image below.